Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Homebrew Belgian Tripel IPA

I now feel comfortable enough with my latest beer to write something about it.  I took a recipe found elsewhere on the Internet and slightly modified it to match what was available to me.

One difference from that recipe was an extra 1/2 lb of candi sugar because it was sold in 1 pound bags and I didn't want any extra sitting around.  The other was because I could not find Amarillo hops.  I semi-arbitrarily replaced them with U.K. Challenger (somewhat similar AA%) hops, which worked out fairly well.

Since I was borrowing equipment and was limited in what was available to me, I simply fermented for 3 weeks in primary (bucket).  I was able to get a separate bottling bucket from Tim when the time came, but in a fit of laziness ended up not using it and instead auto-siphoned straight from the primary into our bottles.  The result is a significant amount of sediment, but that has settled out nicely and with a careful pour will mostly stay in the bottle.

Finally, a note on carbonation.  I added priming sugar to the batch during the bottling process, but it has not seemed to kick it up much.  It remains a little flat even after 3+ weeks in the bottle.  Sadly, I suspect it will stay like this.  Fortunately, I have noticed very, very slight carbonation build up on the walls of the glass for the last couple bottles I have had even though no head forms.

My main theory for this issue is a lack of healthy yeast survival to this point, and the beer could have used additional yeast at some point.  3 weeks in the primary and a high ABV (estimated 10-11%, but I didn't take readings) might have tired them out.

In the end, there are things I would change, but the flavor is there.  This is definitely a very hoppy, high alcohol beer.  Even with its problems, it tastes good!

No comments:

Post a Comment